Saturday, March 12, 2011

Giving Life

Some of you may know that I donated stem cells two years ago to a woman who had leukemia.  Recieving stem cells is usually the last resort for a patient and I was a perfect match.  I don't know who this person is and I will not have the opportunity to meet her for another three years.  This is one of the rules of the registry in which I signed up to donate.  The registry has many rules to protect both donor and recipient.  They have to be strict because there is so much at stake...we are talking about human life.  Not only are they trying to save a life but they don't want to lose a life in the process.  Every year on the anniversery of my donation I get a call from my advocate and she asks me questions about my health and this year I informed her that I had been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a condition that messes with the nerves in your body.  I have probably had this condition for many years but wasn't diagnosed until after my donation.  Now that I have been diagnosed I have been put on the inactive list with the registry and unable at this time to donate my stem cells. 


Being a part of the registry has been a huge part of my life and to know I am not going to get that phone call is very sad to deal with.  I have had a few people say that I should be grateful and trust me, I am.  I am very thankful that I have been able to save a life.  There are many, many people on the registry that will never get to say that.  There are many people in my life that can't even sign up for the registry and I know how much it would have meant to them to be able to have done that.  I also know that I have people in my life that want to sign up and I know that I can be there for them and help them with their journey if they are ever chosen to be donors.

I have recieved a few correspondence from my recipient over the last couple of years thanking me and telling me how she is doing and I have not sent her anything, probably because I have no idea what to say to her.  I have decided that I am going to start to write to her here in my blogs.  In here I will be able to say whatever I want and when I do meet her she can read these blogs and catch up with my life.  I want to make sure that I capture every emotion that I have had with this experience.  It has meant almost as much to me than having my own children.  I share with this woman a bond that I can now no longer share with anyone.  She has my DNA, she has my heart and I can't wait to meet her and tell her how she changed my life.

1 comment: